Join by 31 March on an eligible policy and get up to 8 weeks free. T&Cs apply.
AIA Australia Group
We collect, use and disclose personal and sensitive information (“Personal Information”):
- to process applications for our products and services (including products we distribute);
- to assist with enquiries and requests in relation to our products and services (including products we distribute);
- for underwriting and reinsurance purposes;
- to administer, assess and manage your products and services, including claims;
- to understand your needs, interests and behaviour and to personalise dealings with you;
- to provide, manage and improve our products and services;
- to maintain and update our records;
- to verify your identify and/or authority to act on behalf of a customer;
- to detect, manage and deal with improper conduct and commercial risks;
- for research, reporting and marketing purposes;
- otherwise to comply with local and foreign laws and regulatory obligations; and
The reasons why we collect, use and disclose Personal Information may vary depending on the product, service, or other circumstances in which you have engaged with AIA Australia Group.
Personal Information may be collected from various sources, including:
- forms you submit;
- our records about your use of our products and services;
- our records from your dealings with us, including telephone, email or online interactions; and
We may provide, collect and exchange your personal information with third parties, including:
- our related bodies corporate and joint venture partners;
- the life insured, policy owner, or beneficiaries of an insurance policy;
- service providers and contractors;
- your intermediaries, including your financial adviser, the distributor of your insurance policy and the trustee or administrator of your superannuation fund, your employer, your treating doctor or your legal representatives, or anyone acting on your behalf (together, your “Representatives");
- your employer, bank, medical professionals or health providers;
- partners used in our activities or business initiatives (including, if relevant to your policy, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia);
- our distributors, clients, and reinsurers;
- private health insurers (including MO Health Pty Ltd) and their contractors and agents;
- other insurers including worker's compensation insurers, authorities and their agents;
- other super funds, trustees of those super funds and their agents;
- regulatory and law enforcement agencies;
- other bodies that administer applicable industry codes; and
You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you, and can request the correction of your Personal Information if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. Requests for access or correction can be directed to us using the details in the ‘Contact us’ section below.
If you have any questions or concerns about your Personal Information, please contact us as set out below:
AIA Australia Limited
PO Box 6111
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Phone 1800 333 613
CMLA – Phone: 13 10 56.
Website: commbank.com.au/insurance and click on Contact us for details.
The type of personal information we need to collect will depend on what stage you are in your journey with AIA. We will ordinarily need information like your name, address, date of birth, employment / workplace information, financial information, and details about your medical and health history in order to assess your eligibility for a policy. Should you need to claim on your policy with us, we will need to collect and verify additional personal information, such as specific medical reports about your injury or illness, tax file number information if we are making payments that withholding tax applies to, financial information such as pay slips and/or evidence of employment if your benefit is linked to your income at the time you suffered an injury or illness, and potentially information about other sources of income you have (for example Centrelink, Workcover, any other insurance policy).
In order to verify the information you have provided, we may need to collect it directly from an independent source. This helps us to efficiently assess your claim, reduces the likelihood of any disagreement about facts or circumstances relevant to your application or claim, and ensures we are able to give fair treatment to all of our claimants.
You have the right under Australian Privacy Laws for your personal information to only be used for the purposes for which you gave us consent. We will only ever use your personal information for the purposes we disclose when we collect your information. You can read these purposes in the Summary section above, under the heading ‘Why we collect, use and disclose Personal Information.’ Likewise, we are not permitted to share your personal information with any third parties unless this is for one of the purposes you have consented to: for example, we could contact a reinsurer with your personal information where they are responsible for confirming the reinsurance support for your claim, but we would not be able to contact a marketing company with your personal information because we believed they would be interested in increasing their customer contact database.
Some of the third parties to whom we may disclose Personal Information, including but not limited to our reinsurers, affiliates, service providers and partners used in our activities and business initiatives, may be located in other countries. The countries may include but are not limited to:
- the United States;
- Canada, including our third party service provider who assists us to investigate, manage and prevent suspected improper conduct such as fraud;
- South Africa
- the United Kingdom
- Hong Kong
- other countries in which AIA Group companies operate including our affiliates, AIA Vitality Company Limited, and their respective service providers, affiliates and business partners.
This may allow them to collect information about your use of our websites (including your computer’s IP address). They may store information in:
- the United States
- South Africa
- the United Kingdom
- Members of the European Union,
- Hong Kong
- other countries in which we operate.
If you are ever concerned about how we are managing your privacy, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Compliance Manager by mailing PO Box 6111, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, or by calling us on 1800 333 613.
Should we ever become aware of a breach of your privacy that potentially could result in serious harm, where we are unable to contain that breach we will promptly notify both yourself, any other impacted individuals, and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner about the issue.
You are able to request a copy of this information at any time. Get in contact with AIA through your broker, advisor, superannuation trustee, or simply by calling or emailing us directly. There are some limited circumstances under the law where we cannot provide this to you directly, but we will outline the reasons why this may be the case, and assist with other possible options to access this information.
Unfortunately there are very limited circumstances in which AIA can destroy personal information. This is because we are required to retain our business records for minimum periods of time, and in particular it would be unlawful to destroy any information that may be the subject of a dispute or litigation. However, please feel free to get in contact with us to discuss your circumstances and we can help assess whether this is possible.